Engine Tune-Up Checklist
We have over 2,200 ASE-certified TECHNICIANS
ENGINE TUNE-UP CHECKLIST
THREE SHOPS IN ONE, COMMITTED TO KEEPING YOUR CAR RUNNING NEWER, STRONGER, LONGER.
When you bring your vehicle into Firestone Complete Auto Care for a tune-up, you are essentially asking our skilled technicians to inspect your engine, analyze vehicle performance, and make adjustments as needed. The engine tune-up checklist will include both preventative and restorative engine assessment, and final maintenance recommendations that will vary from vehicle to vehicle based on age, mileage and unique manufacturer recommendations.
To give you a better idea of what happens under the hood when you drop your car off, we’ve compiled a basic engine tune-up checklist:
- Check visual appearance of spark plugs: are they worn? What color are the insulator firing noses? An engine in good condition should have spark plugs with light tan or gray insulator firing noses. Any other color could be the sign of an engine problem.
- Test the performance of spark plugs. What color is the spark? Is the spark properly igniting the fuel?
- Check spark plug wires to make sure they are not hard or cracked.
- Check the fuel filter to make sure it isn’t clogged or dirty.
- Check the engine’s fuel pump for proper function.
- Inspect the engine’s fuel injectors to make sure dirt or other deposits are not restricting the amount of fuel that can be delivered to the engine.
- Make sure fuel injector buildup isn’t affecting how the spark plugs fire.
- Adjust the engine timing and idle if necessary.
- Check that the PCV valve isn’t clogged or leaking.
- Inspect the vehicle’s points and condenser
Since vehicle age, mileage and maintenance history all uniquely affect a vehicle's service needs, it's important to remember that there is not a one-size-fits all engine tune-up procedure, and that some vehicles will require analysis of more engine components than those listed above.
To learn more about the engine tune-up procedure that's right for your vehicle, drop into one of our 1,700-plus Firestone Complete Auto Care stores, open 7 days a week.